Building Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do residential contracts require?
A: Residential contracts over $10,000 require State of Alabama home builders license.

Q: What do commercial contracts require?
A: Commercial contracts over $50,000 require State of Alabama general contractors license.

Q: What is required of plumbing contractors?
A: Plumbing contractors must have a State Plumbing Card and file proof of a general liability insurance policy.

Q: What is required of electrical contractors?
A: Electrical contractors must have a State Electrical Card and file proof of a general liability insurance policy.

All contractors and subcontractors are required to have City of Alexander City business license.

All permits are required before work is started.

Q: What Building Codes have the City adopted?

2006 International Building Code
2006 International Residential Code
2006 International Mechanical Code
2006 International Fuel and Gas Code
2006 International Plumbing Code
2006 International Fire Code
2006 Property Maintenance Code

Links of Interest


Home Builders Licensure Board
Licensing Board for General Contractors
Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board
Alabama Electrical Contractors Board
Board of Heating & Air Conditioning Contractors
Grease Control Ordinance
Zoning and Sign Ordinance
Subdivision Regulations
Weed Abatement Ordinance


City Links

Brush Pick Up

Brush Truck Pick Up

Advanced Disposal Route

Police Department

Fire Department News

Adelia M. Russell Library

Mamie's Place Children's
Useful City Maps

Recylcing Facility Brochure


Links of Interest

Social Security

Chamber of Commerce

Main Street

Alex City Schools
Lake Martin Area Economic Development Alliance

Tallapoosa County Offices
Located in Alexander City

Russell Lands
My Alabama Taxes


Alabama Currents

Pay Your Utility Bill Online

Employment Opportunities

Current Events

City of Alexander City | 4 Court Square | Alexander City, Alabama 35010 | 256.329.6700 | Copyright 2013